Growing Up, Its Price, and My
Life
by Pearl L. Balanay
As I face
life’s frustrations and obstacles, I felt the little girl with a hopeful mind
inside me to be drifting away. I wouldn’t call it changing because I never knew
I was capable of that. But whether I changed or not, wasn’t my choice. It was
my world who did. I thought, maybe this is what they meant when they say
growing up has its price. But, as a girl with only a little hint of optimism
left, I wanted it to stop; I wanted to stop growing up.
When
I was a kid, I always thought that when I grew up, I’d do everything I’ve
always wanted to do. I’d finally fulfill my dreams. But growing up, I only
realized one horrible truth, that my dreams were just that, dreams. Maybe
reality has its own way of welcoming us into its arms. It breaks our shell of
rainbows and love, and expresses our core, our hearts and souls to the cold,
bitter truth of life itself. Gone are the early winters when we built snowmen
and made snow angels. Now, we welcome the mornings of frost and depression, and
for good reason. Because although we know that the sun still shines, we
likewise know it will not be enough to cull our frozen demons, much like our
dreams. We realize, regretfully, that although our dreams still give us hope,
they will never be enough to melt the frozen fortress that holds our innocent
hearts captive. We despise our cage, yet love it all the same. For though it keeps our hearts from the
happiness we so seek, it also keeps us safe from the cold, harsh reality from
piercing any deeper into our wayward hearts.
Years
have gone by and I became me. The optimistic little girl inside me was
completely gone, only an icy and bitter teenage girl filled with cynicism
that’s left. I became a machine with calculated movements to perform. It
suddenly felt safer to suppress my feelings, my thoughts, and even my own
happiness. I have stopped believing for something good to happen, instead, I
just prepare and embrace myself for the worst. I guess I must have witnessed
too much human flaws that my mere optimism in life got crippled. I guess in my
life, winter came, but it never left.

:D nice
ReplyDelete